We have presented them earlier, but this time we are proud to present Gusbourne as a new member of NBCC!
In 2004, when the first vines were planted at Gusbourne Estate, they had a clear vision and a single goal: to create English Sparkling Wines that would stand up alongside the very finest offerings from across the globe. They’ve had our sights set on perfection ever since.
Focusing on just the classic grape varieties of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier, they believe that the only way to ensure the quality of our grapes is to grow them themselves. That’s why the grapes used in their winemaking are sourced solely from Gusbourne vineyards in Appledore, Kent and next door to the Goodwood Estate in West Sussex.
They have an uncompromising quest for quality and a fastidious approach to detail that is aligned with their vision to create the finest wines they possibly can. Their vines are tended with great care and attention to the environment, using only organic fertilisers, and over half of the vines planted are Burgundian (rather than Champagne) clones. This means that they produce lower yields, but the resultant fruit is riper and has significantly more flavour, making their grapes ideal for the production of fine sparkling as well as still wines.
Their wines are always vintage, unique to each growing season and an authentic reflection of a time and place.
Some fun facts:
- Gusbourne is the only three-time winner of the International Wine & Spirits Challenge English Wine Producer of the Year – having won the award in 2013, 2015 and 2017.
- They are the proud recipients of over 200 awards at international competition. They were awarded 23 gold medals and 8 trophies in 2019 alone.
- Today, they supply leading restaurants in the UK such as The Fat Duck, Ynyshir, The Three Chimneys, Le Manoir Aux Quat’Saisons, L’Enclume and The Clove Club.
- They have exclusive sparkling wine listings at Whatley Manor, The Langham and The Corinthia Hotels, as well as prestigious listings at Grosvenor House, Boringdon Hall, The Athenaeum, Moor Hall and Northcote.
- They are the official English Sparkling Wine supplier of the Goodwood Estate, and their wines can be enjoyed on board the Belmond British Pullman and Cunard cruise ships.
- The wines can be found at esteemed retailers including Berry Bros. & Rudd, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, Fenwick and Fortnum & Mason as well as many independent, specialist wine merchants, including Hedonism, Lea & Sandeman and Jeroboam’s in London and many more across the UK.
- Their wines are also exported to over 22 countries around the world.
We for sure are looking forward to having you as a member and collaborating with you! Here to proper English wine!